Saturday, February 02, 2008

Freaky Friday

Friday night was a difficult one for me to digest as far as my local girls basketball teams.
I'm trying to decide which team to hitch my wagon to for my postseason ride. Unfortunately, the ride this season could be rather short.
I was excited Thursday after Parkers Chapel mercy ruled Bearden. Then, the Lady Trojans went to Bearden on Friday and lost 40-38.
In my 17 some years of doing this, I've never seen a 30-point swing in less than 24 hours. I didn't go to Bearden so I have absolutely no clue how a team can lose to a squad it just destroyed a day earlier.
Perhaps it was overconfidence. I know the Lady Bears have a great homecourt edge. I watched Strong get, literally, mauled at Bearden last year. But, that was a great Bearden team.
I really thought this PC squad would beat this Bearden squad every single time they met in any location.
Obviously, I'm a little concerned about my Lady Trojans.
Strong went to Norphlet and got run out of the gym. The Lady Bulldogs have been a mystery to me because they have a good record with good wins over good teams. Yet, when I look at them I see a team with suspect ball handling, no outside shooting and little offensive skill.
The bottom line is winning, however, and they've been doing that. At least, they had been until Friday.
Strong will compete. But, the Lady Bulldogs' lack of offensive skill players has had me worried all year. Will it finally catch up with them?
Finally, El Dorado laid two eggs in a row last week. I expected Friday's brutal butt whuppin' at Little Rock Parkview. But, I thought they'd do a lot better at home against Watson Chapel on Tuesday.
I'm actually a lot more concerned about the Lady Wildcats than I am about Parkers Chapel. The Lady Trojans have only had one bad loss lately. El Dorado has had several, including losing at cellar-dweller Benton in overtime.
I've been fortunate these past few years to have followed teams deep into the state tournament.
But, teams that get blown out at Norphlet and lose at places like Bearden and Benton don't normally last very long at state, if they even make it that far.
I love the state tournament. But, I can't watch it if there isn't a local team participating. I hope somebody gets their act together fast.
***
In the Gulf South, OBU's Maranda Parker was ranked fifth in the conference in free throw percentage in league games. In five games, the freshman was 11-of-12 from the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home