Thursday, March 13, 2008

Old as dirt

Former Union coach Gary Don Smith used to talk about knowing how old he was by coaching two generations of players. When you've coached both the mother and the daughter, you've been around for a while.
On Wednesday, El Dorado junior guard Marcedis Govan stopped by the office for a photo session. She was accompanied by her mother, who looked strangely familiar to me.
After a few minutes, I finally asked Govan's mother, "Are you from Huttig?"
She smiled and said yes.
I couldn't believe what I was about to ask but, I blurted out, "Are you Shawnetta Willis from Huttig?"
Her smile widened as she nodded affirmitively.
Willis was my first-ever News-Times Player of the Year. My first year covering girls basketball, I chose her for the award for her play with the Lady Eagles.
Now, here I am, 18 years later, covering her daughter.
Father Time, you're a mean moto-scooter.
* * *
I had to wake up early this morning to go to the hospital for thyroid tests. They put me under this big machine for about 30 minutes as it scanned my neck and about four of my chins. Apparently, what they found was far from normal because I have to go back and do the stuff again tomorrow.
Anyway, they sent me to another room to do some sort of ultra-sound. Guess who the person was who did this procedure?
Brittany Jerry, formerly a pesky, not-so-nice point guard from Strong, had this big grin on her face as she applied a bunch of goop on my neck.
I begged her not to hurt me and she said she wouldn't.
She didn't but it was still a bit discomforting laying flat on my back with Brittany Jerry's hands around my throat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home