Thursday, March 06, 2008

Who will win 2A title?

The 2A State Tournament girls basketball championship is the rematch everybody has been waiting for. It's a championship game rematch between Carlisle and Augusta.
Nope, Jessieville did not make it back to the state finals after falling to Augusta 59-57 in a great semifinal on Saturday. This is the same Augusta team that beat defending champion Carlisle in the regional final.
I must admit, going into the tournament I didn't have Augusta on my radar. The Lady Red Devils got on my radar, however, after I watched them in the opening round. They were clearly the most athletic team in Jessieville last week.
After watching them for about five minutes, I could definitely see how any team, including Carlisle, would have a difficult time beating them two or three times in a row.
But, I still pick Carlisle to repeat as state champion.
Why?
Two words - Julie Inman.
The state tournament was wide open with three or four teams capable of winning it. Jessieville thought it had the best team. Carlisle thought it was the best. Mineral Springs and Augusta probably thought they had the best teams, too.
There was absolutely no argument, no question whatsoever about who the best player was, however.
Inman is the reason Carlisle made it to the finals. She's the reason they made it to the semifinals. She's the reason the Lady Bison, who lost post player Monie Cohen, their second best player to an injury, will beat Augusta on Saturday.
I talked to Marandalynn Parker about Inman. While we both wonder how she'll do at Arkansas next year, we both agree that she is a fascinating player to watch at the high school level. I haven't seen a girl control the game like her since Sytia Messer was at Waldo.
I expect Augusta to push Carlisle to the brink in a great, great game. In the end, however, Inman will be the difference.
On the boys side, Earle is better than Stephens. The Roadrunners enjoyed a charmed week in Jessieville. I think their luck will run out against a stout Bulldog team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home