Friday, August 07, 2009

Sitting on the news

For the folks in Union County who don't know, El Dorado hired Stephen Harshaw as its new girls basketball coach. Henry Harrell, who was the 9th grade coach at El Dorado, has taken the senior girls gig at Junction City.
I've been asked why these items haven't been in the newspaper. I wanted to break the stories when they were actually news to people. Instead, I couldn't get any confirmation and, rather than print a rumor, I just sat on the story.
Now, I'm being asked to run the story by the same folks who asked me to sit on it a few weeks ago. Ha! I don't print old news.
I like my news like I like my biscuits. I want 'em hot and fresh, not cold and stale.
Good luck to Coach Harrell in Junction City. He actually contacted me before going down for the interview to get my opinion. I think it's a good fit for him. The Lady Dragons have talent and Coach Harrell could be the right man to turn that talent into a successful season.
As for Harshaw at El Dorado, I honestly don't know much about him, other than he's Warren Harshaw's son. His dad was a good coach but that doesn't mean anything about the son.
We'll see. He does have talent to work with and, as I've said often, he's in the easiest classification in the state as far as competition. If you don't make state in Class 6A you should probably disband your program and start all over again because YOU SUCK!
It'll be interesting to see how both programs do this season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home