Sunday, August 02, 2009

No hurt feelings, yet

Okay, so I've neglected this little blogger thing for the last few weeks. It's not that I haven't had things to write about. I wanted to gripe about the ESPYs again and the lame-ass All-Star Game the WNBA threw together. Have I said anything about Diana Taurasi's DUI? I haven't talked about Michael Vick or the steroids in baseball.
There are so many topics. Why have I not blogged my opinions on any of them?
I'm a lazy slob?
That's part of it, I guess. I've also been distracted. As I said, I've been working on a fiction book and I think it's almost finished. I'm putting in some finishing touches as I get input from some of you fine folks.
So far, all of the people who have read it seem to like it. That's good except I'm not sure if they say they like because they really do like it or because they don't want to hurt my feelings. One of the first rules to writing a book is don't let your friends critique it.
Now, I know why.
I have gotten some good feedback though and a few suggestions that I've already used.
One of the characters is a Romanian girl named Crystal. I let Irene Jadic, a Romanian tennis player from El Dorado, read it and she immediately told me there are no girls in Romania named Crystal.
Thanks, Irene. I let her re-name that character, who is now Carmen.
Slick Rick Butler had a bunch of suggestions. I did re-name the college and I'm still pondering some of the other items he pointed out. I also heeded the advice of Rick and Coach Slatton and took some of the cussing out - damnit.
I do appreciate everyone who took the time to read it. I don't know if you really liked it as much as you said but it did build my confidence. If you were lying to me, thanks for sparing my feelings.
I'm still tweaking it but I'm about to start going outside my friend zone and seek counsel from actual editors, publishers and agents. These people don't give a rat's patooty about my feelings so this might be the last time you hear me mention this little book thingy.
Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home