Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tragedy in Russia

I read the news story the other day about the bomb at a Russian airport that killed more than thirty people. I must admit, my first thought was - a lot of female basketball players are over there. I hope none of them were at the airport.
Since then, WNBA player Swin Cash tweeted that she checked and her friends, including Sue Bird, are okay. They weren't at that airport and all of Cash's UConn and WNBA friends are just fine. She ended the tweet with "God is good."
Althought I had the same thoughts as Cash, I didn't realize how selfish those thoughts were until I read them on paper.
Cash made no mention of the innocent people who lost their lives and all of their families and loved ones. How selfish of her. And me.
It's a tragedy when anyone is murdered in such a senseless manner.
This is another example of our "me, me, me" society. If it doesn't affect me, it doesn't matter. Someone was murdered? If I don't know them, who cares?
I can't speak for anyone else. But, I'm going to make an effort to see the bigger picture in the future. It's not just how something affects me, it's how it affects the world and those around me.
I'm thankful I didn't know any of the victims in Russia. But, I'm horrified to know so many innocent people lost their lives. It was a tragedy. And, I care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home