Sunday, October 25, 2009

It's about time

I know I usually talk about girls sports here but I have to say, El Dorado's football team is looking mighty good. How good? Well, at 8-0 the Wildcats are off to their best start since Russ Bechtelheimer's 1991 team went 11-1 before losing to Barry Lunney and Fort Smith Southside in the playoffs.
I thought that 1991 team with Carlos Meeks, Winston Alderson and those guys was the most talented team I'd covered. That is, perhaps until now.
Actually, from a talent standpoint, the old team is still probably superior. From a football standpoint, this year's group is looking special.
El Dorado shut out Lake Hamilton 28-0 on Friday. Yes, the same Lake Hamilton that won state last year and was averaging 30.4 points per game this year. The Wolves couldn't even get a sniff against the Wildcats.
It was probably the best defensive effort I've seen since Little Rock Central did it to El Dorado a few years ago.
El Dorado's offense? Well, it's getting the job done although in less than spectacular fashion the past few weeks. I'll blame the muddy field for some of that.
Anyway, can the Wildcats win state? Yes. Will they?
YES!
Don't tell anybody I said it but, after what I saw last week, I'm picking El Dorado to end its 50-year drought and capture another football state championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home