Monday, April 05, 2010

Please Stanford, Please

Please Stanford. Please! Please! Please!
With sugar on top, I'm begging you ladies to win tonight.
Puhleeezee!!!
I'm so sick of UConn ... I don't remember being so tired of hearing about another team in my life. Hey, I'm a Raiders' fan and I've never liked the Chiefs or the Broncos or the Steelers. I hate the Patriots (damn tuck rule). I didn't like Larry Bird and the Celtics and I could care less about the Yankees.
But, the most annoying team in all my lifetime has to be these UConn Huskies.
Actually, to be honest, it's not just this year's team. My dislike goes back to the Rebecca Lobo Huskies, who won a national championship and suddenly were credited for inventing the game of women's basketball.
Since that team, which is conveniently located in ESPN's backyard, the ball only bounces when UConn plays. The rest of the nation might as well be playing horse shoes because Geno is the only person in the world who knows how to coach women's basketball.
As a person who watched Teresa Weatherspoon lead Louisiana Tech into incredible battles against Texas' Bev Williams and watched the Bolton sisters at Auburn take on Tennessee's Bridgette Gordon and Sheila Frost, I know basketball existed before UConn.
I witnessed it. And, it was good.
I don't have a problem giving UConn credit for its domination lately. I think Geno has a recruiting edge with ESPN as his own personal hometown network. But, 77 wins in a row? No one can argue with that.
UConn, for all it has achieved, deserves attention. I just think it's a bit much to say every UConn team that comes along is the best women's team ever. There were other incredible teams, including the undefeated Texas team that ended Cheryl Miller's career. Speaking of, Miller along with the McGee twins was a special group as was the Tennessee team with Holdsclaw, Catchings, Randall, Jolly, etc. How about Stanford's Azzi, Henning, Whiting, Steding, Zeilstra group?
I'm just saying.
Maybe the team with Bird and Taurasi was the best ever. Maybe this group with Tina Charles and Maya Moore is the best ever. But why is UConn the only team in the discussion?
I despise UConn so much.
And, it's not their fault (as if they cared). The players, especially Moore, seem like nice, respectful, even humble young people. I don't care much for Geno. He's the only person in the world who made me cheer for Pat Summitt.
But, having a jackass for a coach isn't the only reason to hate UConn. Actually, maybe I don't hate UConn as much as I'm just plain tired of hearing ESPN gush over them. You know what, that's it. I don't dislike the team. I just hate the way the media portrays the program as if no other program ever existed before.
Tonight, although I do like Stanford, I'm hoping ... no, I'm praying not for a Cardinal win. I really want to see UConn lose. And, no, not because I want to see the Huskies hurt. I just want to see Trey Wingo's face - mouth open and eyes crossed. I want to hear Carolyn Peck try to come up with some unprepared statement as to why the greatest team in the history of organized sports just lost. I want to see Kara Lawson ... no, the hell with that.
All I know is, these last two seasons have been miserable for me as a women's college basketball fan. I keep waiting for someone, anyone to beat UConn and stop the ESPN hype machine.
Stanford, and I'm talking to you Kayla Pedersen for you are the key to my dream, please, please, please end my suffering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home